Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Cookie?

This afternoon I took Lauren to the doctor to have her eye checked. It looked like it was getting infected and I didn't want to mess around. When we walked into the lobby of the doctor's office, Lauren said "Cookie?". (Background: At the end of each doctor's visit, the check out nurse gives each child a cookie - Lauren must have remembered this). I told her she would get a cookie after her visit with the doctor. After sitting in the lobby for a few minutes, the nurse opened the door and called Lauren's name. What does Lauren do? Look at her and say "Cookie?". The nurse explains that she will get one when she leaves.

After getting her weight and taking her temp we are taken to the exam room. We waited quite a while. Lauren colored on the table paper, read some books and colored some more. When the doctor finally walked in the first thing out of Lauren's mouth was "Cookie?". The doctor told her she would get one when he was done looking at her eye. Thankfully her eye is not infected. She scraped the lid pretty good but the eyeball itself was not damaged. I asked the doctor to check her ears because we will be flying in a couple of weeks and I wanted to make sure they were clear. Everything was good.

Lauren and I leave the exam room and go to the check out desk so I could pay the copay. The women are fawning over Lauren and all she can say is "Cookie?". Oh. My. Goodness. Can someone please give the child a cookie?! I asked Lauren what the magic word was and after saying "pees" she was given a cookie. I told the ladies you would think Lauren never had a cookie except when she came to the doctor's office. Let me set the record straight - Lauren gets a cookie almost every night so she is not left wanting.

I didn't get to spend much time with Lauren tonight because I went to the beauty shop to get my hair done (have to cover the gray, you know?). Tomorrow night is our last night together for a couple of nights because she is going to spend the weekend with Grandma and Paw Paw. Hmm...I wonder if I could get my mom to blog about that experience.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's my girl! Lauren knows what's important and how to stay focused just like her Grandma Lack, aka Farmor. Farmor loves her cookies too! When we get together at Disney World...look out! Two cookie monsters on the prowl! Can hardly wait to be with my little Pixie.

Ulla

Unknown said...

Okay. I hope to figure out how to change my identity from my husband and Lauren's Grandpa, to me, on this comment blog. Gaylin wouldn't want people to think he's the cookie monster talking person that I am.

Ulla

lizzy-loo said...

glad the eye is ok. listen when you need a cookie you need a cookie. i can't believe that sweet baby had to scratch her eye just to get a cookie. when i visit i will make her some.